Special Events Permit and Park Rental Information

In April 2018, the Ellensburg City Council adopted a new special event permit ordinance, designed to be more efficient, consistent, and comprehensive.  The permit regulates events on the public rights-of-way, public property, or events on private property that require additional governmental services such as traffic, police, fire, etc.  The special event permit fee is set at a low cost of $25.00 in an attempt to ensure non-profit organizations can afford the fee.  

When do I need a Special Events Permit?

Not all events in Ellensburg require a permit. The criteria to trigger a special event permit is that it is conducted on public property, or on a public right of way, or is held on private property that has a direct significant impact on traffic congestion or traffic flow to and from the event over public streets or right-of-way, or substantially impacts public streets or right-of-way near the event, or significantly impacts the need for emergency services such as police, fire or medical aid, or is in the city’s Central Commercial Zone, and involves the sales of tickets for attendance or is open to the general public with attendance expected to exceed more than 100 people.

What is expressive speech activity?

Events that are expressive in nature, such as marches, rallies or gatherings, are not subject to the fee. However, the event planner must complete and submit the Special Events Application no later than 7 days prior to the scheduled activity.

What is the Special Event Application Process? 

  • Depending on the type of special events, a completed special events application is requested 60 days in advance of the event. 
  • Prepare and submit with your application and include event layout maps(s) and a detailed schematic/layout of alcohol/garden areas, if applicable (note: fire personnel will review your drawings and determine if an additional permit is warranted)
  • Secure insurance as indicated in the application, and attach proof of insurance with your application
  • Pay a $25 application fee along with the application

To get answers to questions please contact Brad Case, Parks & Recreation Director, at 509-925-8639, or send Brad an email